Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Love - Devotion

Focus scriptures

I John 4:8 (NLT) - But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
Romans 5:8 (NLT) But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.

Kirk Franklin put it so simply into a song - "Love, a word that comes and goes, but few people really know, what it really means to love somebody.”

The American Heritage Dictionary defines Love as “an intense affection for another person based on familial or personal ties.” Jesus took and showed love on a new dimension.

In our day to day surroundings, you will hear people throw out the word Love loosely. You may hear someone say, “I love my neighbor, I love my mom, I love my best friend, or I love my wife”, then as soon as that person refuses to do something we want done, we’re quick to say, “that person makes me sick” or “I can’t stand them”, and even worse, “I hate them”. Our love then becomes conditional.

If we examine Love in its truest sense, there is only one definition of Love. God. God is love and love is of God. (I John 4:8)

When you truly love someone, as God loves us, Love will not allow for us to hold against another the faults that they may commit against us. Love forgives all things and endures all things.

The funny thing about God’s love is that, it’s unconditional. God knew before we were created and birthed us into this world, all the wrong and sins that we were going to commit against ourselves and Him. YET, He breathed the breath of life into us regardless. In our carnal minds and flesh, we are unable to imitate this behavior. If in our hearts and minds, we knew that the child we were going to give birth too was going to end up a gangster, murderer, robber, or child molester, most of the women would run to an abortion clinic to terminate the pregnancy with no regards to the fact that this very child could come to a place of repentance and reconciliation with God. Maybe even become a disciple of Christ; preaching the gospel to the ends of the earth.

To be a Christian means to be “Christ –like” in other words, to be like Christ. We ought to love one another like Christ loves us. Loving like Christ loved, is not an easy task, we need to start with the love of God first. We need to love others the way Christ loves. It takes constant prayer to be authentic in our Godly love. Jesus loved us so much that he laid down His life just for us. (John 15: 13 KJV) Can we honestly say that we can lay down our life for a friend?

God’s love is easy. It provoked God to spare the life of an adulteress before becoming stoned. God’s love welcomed the sinner on the cross into His kingdom. God’s love healed the woman with the issue of blood. God’s love spared our lives from eternal damnation. God’s love ignites compassion for others. God’s love allows us to receive forgiveness and mercy each and every day.

God looked past all our faults and loved us regardless. God’s love should provoke us to love another as Christ loved us.


Love is patient, Love is kind,
God’s love will give you piece of mind.
Through all the turmoil the may come our way,
Why not share His love today.

God loves you and so do I.

4 comments:

Shanita Waters said...

I love you too with the love of Christ!

You are so right. It is very easy for us to love when everything is peaches and cream but when trouble comes it isn't always so easy.

That's why (as you said) we have to love Jesus 1st THEN we can love others through Him unconditionally.

Love is long-suffering. We have to be prepared to suffer long with others as Christ did for if we are going to truly be Christ-Like.

Thanks for sharing.
(Now that I know where you are I can add you to my blog roll)

Shanita Waters said...

I've added you to my blog roll. I've finally gotten around to doing it.

GOD'S LADIE said...

Praise GOD! How true is the word!! How it made me stop and take a deep look at myself. It is so easy to love conditionally as you mentioned, but most won't admit that loving unconditionally is hard. It is does not come without "much" prayer. Prayer to receive a heart like GOD's. Thanks for the blessed word. I enjoyed my visit here. (Jumped here via Shanita's bloglist)

Blessings,
LaTonya

Shawn Jones Harris said...

Thank you ladies so much for taking the time out to read my blog. Your comments were encouraging. Knowledge is power. Let's see how far one voice will carry. B' blessed!